Faludy György (1910-2006),

Kossuth Awarded Hungarian poet, literary translator, writer
 
forr�s:alexandriakonyveshaz.huHe was born in Budapest to a Jewish civil family. In 1928 he graduated from high-school, afterwards he was studying at the university of Vienna, Berlin, Paris and Graz. His rewritings of Villon were published for the first time in 1937. Certain people considered these profane texts as a return to the orginal style of Villon, others condemned and regarded it gross, compared to the previous translations of Szabó Lőrinc. As no one dared to take the publishing on, Faludy published the volume at his own expense, that met with unexpected success, and ran into 40 further (partly samizdat) editions. He left Hungary as an emigrant for the first time in 1938. After a short stay in Paris, he travelled to the States through Morocco, where he became the secretary and newspaper editor of the Independent Hungarian Movement. He returned to Hungary in 1946, and found employment at the Népszava newspaper. Where as he remained leftist at heart, the communist leadership had an unfriendly attitude to Faludy, his following works were not allowed to be published. In 1949 on the basis of false charges he was imprisoned for 3 years at the forced labour camp of Recsk, Hungary. After the Revolution of 1956 he emigrated from the country and lived in London, Florence and Malta. Faludy moved to Toronto in 1967. He visited Hungary again in 1988, than in the next year he came home in March, and settled down in Budapest. After his death, the park next to his previous home in Toronto was officially renamed George Faludy Place on 3, October in 2006.
 
The House of Terror
Address: 1062, Budapest Andrássy út 60.
Tel.: + 36 1 374 2600
 
Faludy had to escape from the fascist (his younger sister was shot during his first emigration), afterwards the communists also slandered him. In the ill-famed building of  Andrássy Avenue Nr. 60, together with numerous fellows, he was questioned and tortured. The State Protection Authority owned the building until 1956. In December 2000 The Public Foundation for the Research of Central and East European History and Society purchased the building with the aim of establishing a museum in order to present the two bloody periods of Hungarian history. During the year-long construction work, the building on 60 Andrássy Avenue was fully renovated inside and out. The internal design, the final look of the museum´s exhibition and the external facade are the works of the architect Attila F. Kovács.
 
The building
 

The block, housing the Neo-Renaissance building, was constructed to function as an apartment block according to the plans of Adolf Feszty in 1880, and was the property of the Perlmutter family till 1936. Since the following year, the wing of the Hungarian National Socialist Movement led by Ferenc Szálasi rented offices in the building. In 1940, taking possession of the entire house, the Arrow-cross Party arranged its headquarters here. The head office was named „The House of Loyalty” by Ferenc Szálasi. The building was used for the purposes of a reception center and prison, too. The Political Police occupied the house in February, 1945. The building had proved to be cramped already at that time, therefore the entire block was taken possession by the State Protection Authority. The cellars under the houses were connected by breaking through their walls, and prisons were created in the labyrinth of cellars.



Nagyobb térképre váltás


KAPCSOLÓDÓ CIKKEK:
  
  
  
  
  
  


TOOLS:   Printable version      






   “If you saved one person life, 
you saved the whole 
world with that" 


 

Magyar - English - Deutsch




Book your Jewish 

Heritage tour

  HERE!


Other Programs in Budapest

Jewish Heritage Tours



Program search

Begin:  Naptár
End:  Naptár



Freshest articles

Joseph PulitzerUS Congressperson
Ferenc Molnár
Our team
Ildikó Farkas    English-German speaking guide
Kritik

Bookmark and Share
Copyrigth © 2010 Hungaria Concert Kft. Created by Szántó Gyula